Friday, December 31, 2010

Bring it!

As a child, New Year's Eve was my favourite holiday. Waking up to a crisp sunny day was energising. The festivities would start early at home, where all activities revolved around the kitchen. People in and out constantly,  everyone seemed to be an authority on what was cooking, having a peek in the oven every few minutes. No wonder the blooming roast took so long to cook!

Us kids did all things in between helping and not helping, inclusive. In the evening we'd just wear our best clothes and wait for the New Year after dinner. Waiting consisted of running: in and out the house, up and down the stairs, around the diningroom table, to and away from the fireworks, up and down our neighbour's steep driveway, among other peculiar unexplicable to-and-fro's.

As the 12 campanadas approached everyone gathered together, grapes ready to eat, one per bell ring, money in hand, suitcase near the door, and more traditions that I can remember. Counting down from 10, I swear you could hear the whole 'hood exploding in a big cheer at midnight. At that point we could leave behind all the things  we didn't like about the previous year and embrace a brand new one, full of possibilities.

I suspect that that was how I learned to be excited about the opportunities a new year brings, a time when nothing else matters, but the joy of being together in a positive environment, surrounded by fun, laughter and celebration.

Special memories: my cousin and I running to the front garden looking for the first person of the new year. My gorgeous neighbours, a couple who were young and oh so stylish. My daddy's face full of excitement, now I realise probably putting it on for us. Trailing behind dad through the neighbourhood, where there was an open-door policy, well, at least at the houses where the door was open.

Things are different for me these days. I take my kids to watch the fireworks on the bridge and we join the best part of a million people on the "ooooohs and ahhhhs" of the event. And yes, I'm excited, for me and for them, I would like them to embrace their world and the opportunities that are available to them, every day.

We can say with certainty that there will be challenges and blessings  in 2011, and you'll be reading about mine in this space, sorry, that's just the way blogging works. I am grateful that you are here, as each person in my life, far or near, brings a lesson for me to learn. You do know about the butterfly effect, don't you?

Looking forward. Today of all days, let's celebrate!

E.
x

2 comments: